monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 09:40:08 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 23:42:00 +0100, Thomas Keller
<address@hidden> said:

me> Richard Levitte schrieb:
me> > Uhmmm, you CAN mount /var/run on tmpfs, and either way, it will be
me> > wiped at reboot (is that what you mean with "restart"?), which is
me> > a perfectly correct way to behave.
me> >
me> > It feels much more like a problem with the stability of the mount, for
me> > reasons I cannot fathom at this point, than anything else.
me> >
me> > The only thing I can think of is that the init script may need to
me> > create the /var/run/monotone directory...  Is that something you could
me> > try out?
me>
me> Sure, but since I'm no debian expert I don't know if that is
me> something which start-stop-daemon should handle already.

Not unless you give it --make-pidfile, but I would argue against doing
so since monotone knows how to do that on it's own...

me> Of course I could easily hack the init script like this
me>
me> PIDDIR=`dirname $PIDFILE`
me> if [ ! -d "$PIDDIR" ]; then
me>    mkdir -p "$PIDDIR" && chown monotone "$PIDDIR"
me> fi
me>
me> but the question which remains on my side is if this is an
me> appropriate way to fix the issue?

Hmmm, it's currently the package's post-installation script that
creates /var/run/monotone ...  I wonder if THAT's the right thing...
In your situation, it doesn't sound right.

So, considering this, I think the best approach is to change the init
script.  If someone whines, we have a use case to present.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/