monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 23:42:00 +0100

Richard Levitte schrieb:
> Uhmmm, you CAN mount /var/run on tmpfs, and either way, it will be
> wiped at reboot (is that what you mean with "restart"?), which is
> a perfectly correct way to behave.
>
> It feels much more like a problem with the stability of the mount, for
> reasons I cannot fathom at this point, than anything else.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the init script may need to
> create the /var/run/monotone directory...  Is that something you could
> try out?

Sure, but since I'm no debian expert I don't know if that is something
which start-stop-daemon should handle already. See, my problem seems to
be some kind of a "common" problem for system daemons and right now its
problematic even to point the pidfile just to /var/run/monotone.pid
which fails as well because /var/run is not writable by everyone.

Of course I could easily hack the init script like this

PIDDIR=`dirname $PIDFILE`
if [ ! -d "$PIDDIR" ]; then
   mkdir -p "$PIDDIR" && chown monotone "$PIDDIR"
fi

but the question which remains on my side is if this is an appropriate
way to fix the issue?

Thomas.