monotone-debian

[Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-debian] PID file can't be created
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 23:01:51 +0100

Hi!

I've encountered a small nuisance with the init script of the monotone
debian package 0.37-4. I'm using this package on Ubuntu 8.04 and
apparently this distro mounts /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs which
"sometimes" likes to wipeout its contents (at least regularily on a
restart). This leads to the problem that start-stop-daemon just logs

mtn: error: failed to create pid file '/var/run/monotone/mtn.pid'

and of course does not start mtn serve. I've found a similar problem
with another package [0] and my question is now if this is actually a
bug with the monotone package or an upstream Ubuntu bug (I don't know if
Debian's /var/run is also mounted on tmpfs by default). How should I
proceed here? Maybe this problem was already fixed in a newer package?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/aide/+bug/114730