Re: notification of (action) restarts aren't sent

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: notification of (action) restarts aren't sent
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:32:57 +0200

> On 11 Jun 2015, at 11:02, Jo Rhett <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Jun 11, 2015, at 1:13 AM, Martin Pala <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You just mixed the “<action>” placeholder
>> (https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/#ACTION) with verbatim “action”
>> event type (https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/#Setting-an-event-filter)
>> - these two are not related and the manual doesn’t say that if the rule
>> matches “action” evet type is triggered.
>
> Um, it most certainly does say that. All of the quoted text lies in the
> section, and in fact on the same page of a screen display as the major
> heading
>
> https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/#SERVICE-TESTS
>
> This very clearly says:
>> Monit provides several tests you can use in a 'check' statement to test a
>> service. You can test either for some expected value or range and take
>> actions if the value changed.”
>

> So this is the context of the other quotes. This section has nothing to do
> with manual actions.
>
> It goes on to say
>> ACTION
>> In each test you must select the action to be executed from this list:
>
> It goes on to provide a list of actions. The description for the restart
> action says
>> restarts the service and send an alert
>
> There is no mixing of context here. The context in english is very clear and
> very direct. The english could not be plainer. I hear your answer that the
> code doesn’t match the language, but the language very clearly and expressly
> says that we can choose an action, and that the restart action will both
> restart the service and send an alert.
>
> There is no other way to read that text. These statements are very tightly
> tied and directly related, unlike what you have claimed above.

You apply the “action” from one section to event types in completely different
context - there is no connection between these two sections. The text you
referred (https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/#ACTION) just says that
<action> is one of “alert”, “restart”, “start”, “stop”, “exec” or “unmonitor” …
snip from manual regarding the possible actions:

—8<—
        • ALERT sends the user an alert event on each state change.

        • RESTART restarts the service and send an alert. Restart is performed
by calling the service's registered restart method or by first calling the stop
method followed by the start method if restart is not set.
—8<—

Please can you tell me where in this text you see the *event type*
specification or reference? There isn’t any - it just says that “alert action
sends an event” - not that the event type is “action” too (the event type isn’t
mentioned at all).

You just induced that the event type will be “action” when we used word
“<action>” in the rule syntax, but the event types are more specific and
describe the particular error which triggered it - not the <action> which was
performed. Using your interpretation the event type won’t have any sense,
because everything can be then marked as “action” event.

The event types used in alerts are described in alert section:
https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/#ALERT-MESSAGES. Here you can find the
list of events and situations when the given event type is used. Again: the
“action” event type is not the same as the <action> placeholder in the rule.
I’ll modify the “action” event type description in the manual to clarify that
this event type is used to notify that the user did some manual action.