Re: Restart with mmonit

From: Kevin Chadwick
Subject: Re: Restart with mmonit
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:34:38 +0100

previously on this list Ryan Hall contributed:

> The init.d script handles the creation of the PID file, so I would look
> there.

Personally I would use pkill/pgrep -kill -f "??????" or monits built-in
process matching.

There is much mis-information saying pids should be used without any
factual reasoning on the net (I expect due to just worry about users
not choosing the string match accurately enough and asking questions). I
always thought that pid files were wrong and if the OpenBSD project
leader agrees and as you can obviously trust ps in any sane environment
then that is far better than pid files and even cgroups offer very
little more if not nothing in almost all cases raising questions about
the increased kernel complexity (Linus on cgroups: a necessary evil, but
necessary for what, every service, I doubt he meant that??).

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)