Re: Check transmission port

From: Josu Lazkano
Subject: Re: Check transmission port
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:43:11 +0100

2013/1/15 Brian Cook <address@hidden>:
> CentOS machine @home..
>
>  grep pid /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon
> # pidfile: /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid
>
> address@hidden [/var/lib/transmission]# 11 > ls -al
> /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12 Jan  2 22:22 /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid
>
> address@hidden [/var/lib/transmission]# 12 > cat
> /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid
> 28765 28749
>
>  rpm -qa | grep transmission
> transmission-common-2.71-1geekery.x86_64
> transmission-daemon-2.71-1geekery.x86_64
> transmission-cli-2.71-1geekery.x86_64
> transmission-2.71-1geekery.x86_64
>
> looks like two pids.. possibly one for the GUI/Webif and the daemon..
>
> Nothing in the settings.json regarding the pid..
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Josu Lazkano <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have Monit installed on my Debian server. I have lots of service
>> monitorized by PID and all of them works great.
>>
>> But I have problem with transmission-daemon, there is no PID file, but
>> I can check if the service is working just making a telnet to the
>> service.
>>
>> When the service is wrong, this is what happens:
>>
>> # telnet localhost 9091
>> Trying ::1...
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>>
>> And this is when the service is working:
>>
>> # telnet localhost 9091
>> Trying ::1...
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>
>> When the service is wrong, I just restart the service and it works great.
>>
>> How could I configure the transmission configuration?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>

>> --
>> Josu Lazkano
>>
>> --

Thanks, I edit the start init script and now I have the PID file:

# ps -e | grep transmission
22431 ?        00:00:00 transmission-da

# cat /var/run/transmission.pid
22431

But the problem is still there, The process is running but the service
is not responding to the telnet on the first boot:

# telnet localhost 9091
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...

I need to check service port to know if the service is well. Is
possible to use a telnet to a specific port?

Kind regards.

--
Josu Lazkano