Re: [monit] Services for rule missing

From: Thorsten Kampe
Subject: Re: [monit] Services for rule missing
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:57:43 +0200

* Martin Pala (Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:43:11 +0200)
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:24 PM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > * Martin Pala (Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:47:40 +0200)
> >> the service names are currently added when event for given service is
> >> received.
> >
> > Not really sure what that means. The services that don't show up are
> > "check host" services on an ESXi host and a SmoothWall VM.
> >
> > Why would the M/Monit host not receive events for those when it
> > received
> > events for exactly the same services on another ESXi host and another
> > SmoothWall VM? And how could I trigger that M/Monit receives event for
> > those so that they show up?
>
> If the same service name was running on different host and some fault/
> recovery events were generated by Monit and received by M/Monit, the
> service will show up.

That's exactly what I don't understand.

This is a part of my monit setup on my Gentoo host (M/Monit and Monit
run on the same machine)...

# ESXi
check host vhost1
    address vhost1

    if failed icmp type echo
        then alert

    if failed port 443 type tcpssl protocol http
        then alert
#

# ESXi
check host vhost2
    address vhost2

    if failed icmp type echo
        then alert

    if failed port 443 type tcpssl protocol http
        then alert
#

# SmoothWall VM
check host vfirewall1
    address vfirewall1

    if failed icmp type echo
        then alert

    if failed port 441 type tcpssl protocol http
        then alert
#

# SmoothWall VM
check host vfirewall2
    address vfirewall2

    if failed icmp type echo
        then alert

    if failed port 441 type tcpssl protocol http
        then alert
#

The two physical ESXi hosts are on the same subnet. Neither the ESXi
hosts nor the VMs have generated any "failed" events (as far as I
remember). Monit on the Gentoo host monitors those services quite fine.

The only difference is that vhost2 and vfirewall2 appear in the services
drop down list of the rules screen but vhost1 and vfirewall1 not. And an
old service that does not exist anymore also still shows up.

What would you suggest? Triggering vfirewall1 and vhost1 to generate a
failed event? Please advise.

Thorsten