PGSQL logfile errors

From: Raj Gupta
Subject: PGSQL logfile errors
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:40:42 -0700

Hi,

I've just downloaded monit and have been playing around with it to start monitoring our Apache/Tomcat/Postgresql based web application.

(Since the application went down for a few hours this weekend, we've been looking for an automated re-start solution, and are glad to have found monit.)

When checking for Postgresql I've been using the PGSQL entry like this:

 check process postgresql with pidfile /var/run/postmaster.5432.pid
    start program = "/etc/init.d/postgresql start"
    stop program  = "/etc/init.d/postgresql stop"
    if failed protocol PGSQL then restart
    if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

I've also added the user root and database root to avoid having spurious messages in my pglog file complaining about user root and database root.

 I still keep getting errors in the PGLOG file like:

 LOG:  incomplete startup packet

Can someone suggest a way to not get these errors. Since I am monitoring every 2 minutes this will create too many messages in our log file and I am worried we might miss some other critical messages.

Raj

 --
 Raj Gupta                          address@hidden
 1684 Nightingale Avenue     Suite 201