Re: re-installing monit

From: Scott Silva
Subject: Re: re-installing monit
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:36:20 -0700

Alfredo Deza spake the following on 9/6/2007 1:58 PM:

On 9/6/07, *Scott Silva* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Alfredo Deza spake the following on 9/6/2007 11:51 AM:

> [...]
     >      >      >     installed. But it seems monit wasnt working
    well, it
     >     didnt have a
     >      >      >     pid file and couldnt recognize the services.I
    couldnt
     >     even do
     >      >      >     /etc/init.d/monit start
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     So I went ahead to uninstall monit and within
    the 4.10
     >      >     directory did:
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     make uninstall
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     Perfect.
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     Went ahead and reinstalled the RPM package and
    now I
     >     have my
     >      >     monit
     >      >      >     pid file but with a broken monit:
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     -bash: /usr/local/bin/monit/: no such file or
    directory
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     I still have the configuration file and I can do:
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     /etc/init.d/monit start
     >      >      >     /etc/init.d/monit restart
     >      >      >     /etc/init.d/monit stop
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     But it does nothing, no web interface, no nothing.
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     Could you guys PLEASE help me get this working
    again?
     >     I just
     >      >     need to
     >      >      >     have this as stable as possible (why did I tried to
     >     get 4.10???).
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     So, to make this plea short:
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     1.- Need to get a complete uninstall/removal of
    monit
     >      >      >     2.- Then a fresh install of monit 4.9 with the RPM
     >     package
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     Hopefully I will have this working in no time.
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     Thanks again so much for your patience and help,
     >      >      >
     >      >      >
     >      >      >     --
     >      >      >     Alfredo Deza
     >      >      >
     >      >      >
     >      >      > Ok, just an update (sorry for the spam)
     >      >      >
     >      >      > Since bash couldnt find monit I did wget monit-4.9
     >     compiled it and
     >      >      > copied monit to /usr/local/bin/monit/
     >      >      >
     >      >      > So that fixed that problem and now I have monit
    running.
     >      >      >
     >      >      > BUT
     >      >      >
     >      >      > Monit doesnt start/stop/restart correctly (although
    I see
     >     OK when
     >      >     I try)
     >      >      > when doing /etc/init.d/
     >      >      >
     >      >      > It just starts by:
     >      >      >
     >      >      > monit -v
     >      >      >
     >      >      > And it shows that monit doesnt have a PID file at
     >     /var/run/monit.pid
     >      >      >
     >      >      > Any ideas to this whole mess I created?
     >      >      >
     >      >     Did you try rpm with the --replacefiles option?
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >     --
     >      >
     >      >     MailScanner is like deodorant...
     >      >     You hope everybody uses it, and
     >      >     you notice quickly if they don't!!!!
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >     --
     >      >     To unsubscribe:
     >      >
     >      >
     >      > Early today I tried the rpm --replacefiles and it seems to be
     >     working.
     >      >
     >      > I can start monit with init.d
     >      >
     >      > There should be a thorough guide as to how to upgrade /
    downgrade or
     >      > uninstall monit, not because we dont want it, but just for
    situations
     >      > like this.
     >      >
     >      > I offer my time if someone is willing to help me out, as
    my process
     >      > hasnt been clean at all.
     >      >
     >      > Because this is an important server, I think its better to
    wait
     >     for the
     >      > email verification option in 4.10 unless someone comes
    with a good
     >      > solution for not being able to send email notifications.
     >      >
     >      >
     >     The easiest solution would be to get the admin of the mail
    server to
     >     allow
     >     your monit box to send mail unauthenticated, or let you send on a
     >     different
     >     port like the submission port.
     >     --
     >
     >     MailScanner is like deodorant...
     >     You hope everybody uses it, and
     >     you notice quickly if they don't!!!!
     >

     >     --
     >

     > Ok, I will try that. Thanks.
     >
     > What about the best way to re-install / uninstall monit?
     >
     > --
     > Alfredo Deza

    I think your problem was from going from rpm to source to install a
    program.
    rpm based systems get confused when you do that. The replace files
    option will
    let the rpm version overwrite the newer files.