Re: Monit PID check

From: Alexander
Subject: Re: Monit PID check
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:50:21 +0200

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:48:21AM +0300, Aleksander wrote:

> PID's are not assigned randomly, this should and is taken care of by the OS.

  Sometimes they are assigned randomly, especially in hardened installations.

  On busy system, when a lot of short-living processes is created, and
  with random PIDs, it could happen that same PID will be assigned to
  new process within one minute when the old one is finished.

> Don't know about monit, but that's what PID's are for, to identify
> processes uniquely.

  Sure, but this only means one PID per process, not that same PID
  cannot be reassigned to _new_ process, when old is dead already.

> Point being, I wouldn't worry about this.

  Still? :)

/Al