Re: zombie processes

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: zombie processes
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:22:45 +0200

Josh wrote:
Here is a section from my monit config...

  check process lighttpd with pidfile /var/run/lighttpd.pid
  start program = "/etc/init.d/lighttpd restart"
  stop program = "/etc/init.d/lighttpd stop"
    if cpu is greater than 60% for 2 cycles then alert
    if cpu > 80% for 5 cycles then restart
    if totalmem > 80.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
    if children > 20 then restart
#  if loadavg(5min) greater than 10 for 8 cycles then restart
    if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
  depends lighttpd_rc
  depends lighttpd_bin
  depends vlogger
  group web

check process vlogger
  with pidfile /var/run/vlogger.pid

---

The problem is vlogger constantly dies (zombie, data error) for the
least little thing and I would like that to trigger a restart of
lighttpd (because of the dependency).

Is anything like this possible?

Just add the start and stop method to the vlogger service definition. In the case that vlogger will die, monit will restart it and all its dependants as well (see manual for more info)