Re: Mailformat question

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Mailformat question
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:15:16 +0200

The new-line problem is caused in this mail handling code:

--8<--
    do_send(&S, "%s\r\n", m->message);
    if(m->opt_message) {
      do_send(&S, "%s\r\n", m->opt_message);
    }
--8<--

The optional event description (opt_message) is independent of mail-format string and it is included after the mail-format message on new line.

The result of the following mail-format message option:

--8<--
set mail-format { message: $EVENT $SERVICE at $DATE on $HOST }
--8<--

is for example:

--8<--
Data access error vfatfs at Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:52:33 +0200 on unicorn
'vfatfs' unable to read device /dev/hda6 state
--8<--

... as you can see, the first line corresponds to the format string, but the second line is extra one (not specified in format string).

We can maybe fix it by consolidation of message and opt_message data ... by introduction of new event description token (for example $EVENT_DESCRIPTION) and using it instead of explicit inclusion (it will be needed to change default message format template ALERT_MESSAGE in alert.h too). You one-line message format which will include event description will then look for example like this:

--8<--
... { message: $EVENT $SERVICE at $DATE on $HOST - $EVENT_DESCRIPTION }
--8<--

$ACTION token in mail-format is supported since monit-4.3, i have tested
it on current cvs version (upcomming monit-4.5) ... it works well. You may maybe want to try monit-4.5 beta (http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/dist/beta/) and test it.

Martin

Christian Schoepplein wrote:
Hello!