Re: Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:44:28 +0100

On Dec 16, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Martin Kloss wrote:

At 13:18 16.12.2004, you wrote:
If host name is _not_ specified monit will use an empty Host header in its HTTP request to the server. An empty host-header normally means that the http server will return output from the default (virtual)host. However this may be individual configured from server to server and I do see some servers return 403 or 503. Any response status from the server which is 400 or more is reported as an error by monit.

yeah, that's what I thought, which of course makes sense in a way :-)

I wanted to avoid that, so that I would not have to change the config file when the hostnames of the virtualhosts change or the ip address changes, but I guess I can live with that :-)

Or you can change the configuration of your httpd server/LB to return output from the default host when the host-header is empty, which is the proper thing to do :)

there is no real default host in the sense of a virtual server that actually returns a page, but I guess I'll have to create a dummy default host for the server just to fix that problem.

Maybe this may help? Check out http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html where it says:

Main host goes away

If you are adding virtual hosts to an existing web server, you must also create a <VirtualHost> block for the existing host. The ServerName and DocumentRoot included in this virtual host should be the same as the global ServerName and DocumentRoot. List this virtual host first in the configuration file so that it will act as the default host.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
mobile +47 97141255