Re: Different startup time from polling time?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Different startup time from polling time?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:37:37 +0200

I think the discussion pointed by link bellow explains the problem.

It is not good solution to delay testing generaly on monit startup, because
this is just special workaround which is effective only on system startup
and affects all services. It is not good solution either to use common delay
for all services on their restart initiated by monit - some services may
start fast, some in few minutes and some in few hours (e.g. on db recovery).
Common limit for all services doesn't solve the problem (you need to set the
limit as high as is needed for the slowest service). This makes too large
window for fast starting service error detection beggining.

Correct solution could probably be to allow per-service timeout value on
startup. Monit in version 4.4 has 'initializing' monitoring mode value,
which is set to 'monitored' as soon as data are available and the service is
up. I think we can solve the problem via support of per-service
'initializing' mode timeout (which affects wait_start thread too).

Just my two cents ;)

Martin