Re: Some feature notes for monit, volume III

From: Marco Ermini
Subject: Re: Some feature notes for monit, volume III
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:50:50 +0200 (CEST)

<quota chi="Vlada Macek">
[...]
>> This catch 22 situation has been discussed before and I think that the
>> conclusion was to run monit from init (/etc/inittab). See also the FAQ
>> for rationale.
[...]
> Although monit may be run from init (I'm aware of this) and such process
> starting is usually seen as assured, there is unfortunatelly a several
> reasons why certainly started monit could fail to continuously monitor the
> system.
[...]
</quota>

Also notice that you can't always add programs to inittab. I.e. you can't
modify /etc/inittab if you are installing a system in a Sun cluster
configuration - the Sun sysad will never certify such an installation.

>From another point of view, if you are deploying your software system with
Monit included in a complex environment, in which everything must be
certified, monitored, alarmed etc. (I am deploying such a system, there is
also a human 24/7/365 baby-sitting!... it's in a telco scenario), the
Monit itself _needs_ to be monitored and alarmed in some way. The idea of
having multiple Monit monitoring each others and communicating via a kind
of XML-RCP system (better if encrypted...) in my 5c opinion is worth to be
pondered.

Regards.
--
Marco Ermini