Monit 4 enhancement requests

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Monit 4 enhancement requests
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:50:01 +0200

FYI: Some feature requests. I think that requests 1 and 4 are the
interesting once, 1 is already in planing by us.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Monit 4 enhancement requests Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:18:17 +0200 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.4i
[ I hope this email has reached the right mailbox, I couldn't seem
  to find an appropriate mail address for requests and bug reports. ]

Hi,

I have recently installed monit v4.0, and while this version is a big
improvement over the v3-series, there's still room for enhancements.
In no particular order I'd like to see the following features in monit:

  ·  ICMP/ping support

     Currently monit supports TCP and UDP.  I'd very much like to
     be able to ping hosts also.

  ·  IPv6 support

     In addition to TCP, UDP and ICMP, please support TCP6, UDP6
     and ICMP6.

  ·  Support for running monit under dæmontools

     Instead of running monit under init or as a regular dæmon, I
     prefer to run monit under DJB's dæmontools or Pape's runit
     suite, and of course I can do so using the -I switch of monit.
     What I'd like to see, though, is monit writing log messages to
     [a line buffered] stdout so that they're captured by multilog
     (dæmontools) og svlogd (runit).

  ·  Alert limitation

     When services that are checked often fail, monit spews a slew
     of alerts to the designated mailbox.  I'd like to see e.g. an
     "alertevery" keyword, that takes a time specification as its
     argument.  When != 0, monit should send out an alert only once
     per time period.

Thanks for making monit available to the community!

Cheers,

  // Klaus

--
 »There's a crack in everything,                Klaus Alexander Seistrup
  that's how the light gets in.«                    address@hidden

--- End Message ---

Since this is a feature list, I would also like to add these
suggestions. Just for discussion and I'm not sure about the relevance
of all of these:

1) Support more than on SMTP server (I think this was suggested before?)

   If monit cannot connect to a SMTP server it should have a list
   other smtp server to try. Changes in the mail server statement:
           SET MAILSERVER [server]+
   statement example:
           set mailserver, mail.tildeslash.com, mail.foo.bar

2) Extend the timeout statement to timeout a service for a configured
   period and then try again. Such as (extension in capital letters)

   IF 2 restarts within 3 cycles then timeout and START MONITOR AGAIN
   AFTER 1 HOUR.

   This could be *one* solution to the "Alert limitation" requested
   above.

3) On a same note; if a service was stopped, especially because of
   machine load, then monit should be able to start it again when
   the load goes back to normal again. E.g. (extension in capital
   letters):

      if loadavg(5min) greater than 3.0 for 2 cycles then stop
         UNTIL LOADAVG(1MIN) IS LOWER THAN 1.0 THEN START

   Or to stop a service for 5 minutes:

   check process apache ..
         if cpu > 99% for 3 cycles
            then stop AND RESTART AFTER 5 MINUTES

4) Introduce time triggering service checks. Kind of a sub-set to
   crond(8). That is, only check a service at a certain time *not* in
   each poll cycle (again, extension in capital letters).

      check file access.log with path /usr/local/apache/logs/access.log
            AT 04:00 # Only run this check at 4 AM.
            if size > 100 MB
               then exec "/usr/sbin/logrotate -f apache"

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland