Re: Monit 4 enhancement requests

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Monit 4 enhancement requests
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:32:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

> Interesting :)
>
> ad. 1.) ICMP ping support - already scheduled, i will look on it. I
> think i can start the implementation next week.

Useful!

> ad. 2.) IPv6 support - it could be interesting (but not for me for this
> moment)

But it has to work on machines even without IPv6... like Solaris7

> ad. 4.) alert limitation on x of y cycles - this could be usefull too,
> but in such case we need to discuss timeout statement relationship. I
> think in the case that we will implement this, we need to modify tests
> to not change the expected value during monitoring (for example like
> checksum statement does) and implement general timeout statement syntax
> + requested alert cycle limitation. The user then can choose - either to
> timeout the service check after x of y events occured or skip some
> cycles. If neither of these statements will be specified, monit will
> send alert on each cycle. The syntax can be commonized to, for example:
>
> IF x {event[, event]...} WITHIN y CYCLES THEN {timeout|alert}

What about...

IF [x] {event[, event]...} ...

or does this involve an in additional token between x and event?  So it is
compatible with our current syntax.

> => you can choose for each type of event ratio when to alert or when to
> timeout. Event is specification of the event type (such as restart,
> start, timestamp, etc.) If you will not specify alert ratio for
> particular events (for example restart) or at all, by default monit will
> send alert every cycle, which is equivalent to:

(...)

> What do you think?

Instead we can simplay add a token to the alert statement, to have the
requested functionality, e.g.:

alert [once] emailaddr.

And we should have a global "set alert" statement too.  These are added to
all services... All my 80 services do have the same alert statement...
would save space.

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113