Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:08:29 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

BTW, have anyone checked out the state stuff I added to
monit? it seems to work okay.(?)

I plann to do it, but have problem with free time now. Whenever i have a minute i work on device/file/directory stuff (see bellow)

Martin said he will start on the new
file/dir/device check functionality soon (didn't you Martin? :)

Yeah, it works in general, but it has yet lot of issues:

- extend cervlet to support details for new functionality (now it has only partial cervlet support - it gives informations in overview section only) - solve 32-bit constraits (probably work directly with blocks rather then bytes) - filter out unsupported configurations options for file/process/directory/device
- add functionality to file/directory tasks
- documentation
- etc.

I worked on it only few hours per last two weeks so the progress isn't very good :( I will have some time today and plan to work on it little bit.

Ahen this is ready we should be able to make a new release. 4.0 maybe?
RedHat just jumped from 8.0 to 9.0 so it's possible :)

Yeah :) Next release will contain lot of changes, it is possible to simplify the code of resource checking according to new device check functionality - i will propose it as soon as i will submit the initial patch. It could involve incompatible change in configuration file. Next think is possible rewrite of internal structures related to new functionality which isn't required but fits better to extended major monitoring tasks (Process_T -> Task_T) => new major number is fine, because of the changes.