Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id
Date: 22 Apr 2003 13:42:43 +0200

Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
>
> > So, the new optional syntax in the control file would look
> > something like this:
> >
> > check XYZ ..
> >  start "/etc/init.d/xyz start" as USER nobody and GROUP nobody
> >   and with ENVIRONMENT {
> >              JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
> >              CLASSPATH=/usr/local/libjava/blabla:/opt/jakarta/shared/classes
> >              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
> >              LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/qt/lib
> >            }
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Sounds +1 to me....

Okay, I'm on it. We have 2 +, one 0 and one absent then. I should have
something ready next week, in addition to the new alert "command"
statement. BTW, have anyone checked out the state stuff I added to
monit? it seems to work okay.(?) BBTW, Have you been able to work more
on the process stuff? Martin said he will start on the new
file/dir/device check functionality soon (didn't you Martin? :)

Ahen this is ready we should be able to make a new release. 4.0 maybe?
RedHat just jumped from 8.0 to 9.0 so it's possible :)

> what about additionallz with ENVIRONMENT @file.name if you want to
> use the same env more then one it could get unreadable.

Good suggestion, I'll see how long it takes to implement the stuff.

> > Ps. I can give this a stab next week when a get back from my
> > current house-building project.
>
> Some photos would be nice. (-:

Actually it is not my house, but my brothers. He bought an old house
and I'm helping him with restoring it. He has two small children, (a
five month old girl and a two year old boy), two dogs, a tired wife
and three jobs so he need all the help I can give him.

> Btw... yesterday Rory and me had some mexican food in Palo Alto...

That's cool. To paraphrase Pink Floyd, "I wish I was there".

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland