Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: [Proposal] switching user and group id
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:33:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

(...)

> Yes and maybe it could be an advantage not to have to use su in shell
> scripts. Your mail also gave me another idea; it should be possible to
> setup environment variables before a program is started. So, the new
> optional syntax in the control file would look something like this:
>
> check XYZ ..
>  start "/etc/init.d/xyz start" as USER nobody and GROUP nobody
>   and with ENVIRONMENT {
>              JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
>              CLASSPATH=/usr/local/libjava/blabla:/opt/jakarta/shared/classes
>              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
>              LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/qt/lib
>            }
>
> What do you think?

Sounds +1 to me.... what about additionallz with ENVIRONMENT @file.name if
you want to use the same env more then one it could get unreadable.

> Ps. I can give this a stab next week when a get back from my current
> house-building project.

Some photos would be nice. (-:

Christian

Btw... yesterday Rory and me had some mexican food in Palo Alto...

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113