Re: Nagios Integration

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Nagios Integration
Date: 28 Feb 2003 15:28:21 +0100

Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

> >[About a Central monit app]
>
> Monit has very good preposition for presenting collected data
[...]

Martin, good argumentation which I totaly agree with. I also agree
that we for *now* should wait with a central monit application. Maybe
we will do it in the future, maybe not, let's see how things turns out.

> >I have also started to have doubts about the need for a central
> >configuring system for monit (i.e. configure monit from ldap), rsync
> >for instance can probably do the job easily or what do you think,
> >Martin?
> >

> I think it is very usefull in ISP environment, like my employer's
> company. There are hundreds of servers and the easiest  way to do it
> is to have possibility to configure them centrally, which provides the
> benefit of delegated administration option (for example you can let
> the customer to administer some instances), easy method for new
> instance creation, default options via "class of service" which can be
> easily modified by one change for all instances as well as they can be
> overriden, etc.
>
> I plan to use it in my own project, but it doesn't matter if it will
> be used in monit or not one day. As you said, this is probably the
> same class of task as central monitoring application - we can live
> without it and try to extend the core functionality instead  :)

If you will implement LDAP integration anyway, let's wait until you
have the patch ready and if we have consensus on that it's a good
thing to include in the source we will do it. Right now I'm 50-50, I
can see your point and it's cool stuff and looks useful but maybe it
will be too specialized for a general monit product, I'm not sure and
it will (probably) help to see the functionality in action. Another
option could be to provide it as a optional plugin module, if you
manage to factorize the functionality into a standalone interface and
implementation which is easy to hook into from the parser (p.y).

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland