Re: Nagios Integration

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Nagios Integration
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:15:08 -0600

Really I'm not looking for a tight integration. I'm not sure I'd even
use a central monitoring app for monit. ;]

I'm quite happy with monit being a simple program, without plugins and
the headaches they involve. The idea of requiring extensive syntaxes
and an API to talk to an external program is just too much. The ideas
discussed in that thread were definately overkill.

I'm not sure I'd even like SNMP in monit. Logging to syslog which in
turn goes to my central syslog server and parsed for error messages,
and the built-in email notification cover most of the bases.

I'm using monit as a replacement for daemontools. Its pretty cut and
dry. I want my flakey processes to be restarted if they die. I want
whatever does that linked to init to make sure the monitoring program
can't die either. This helps me assure my services will remain
running. A simple shell script could do the same, and be very
minimalistic at the same time. I chose monit because its small and
effective, though I admit I still think the webserver was overkill. ;]

That being said, all I'd like to do is allow more flexible alerts,
based on running an artibrary command instead of using just
email. That one feature alone would be simply awesome.

This way I could use paging directly like so:

alert `/usr/bin/snpp -m "Monit: $EVENT for $PROGRAM on $HOST" rladams`

or I would have the option of using any other program to pass on the
data as needed. Spawn, exec, launch or whatever the program specified,
and terminal the child process if it fails to exit in less than 90 seconds.

No plugin architecture, no XML, no SNMP, just a call out to a shell
command.

Comments? I know I'm being a bugger. ;]

Russell