Re: The multi interface code

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: The multi interface code
Date: 01 Jul 2002 21:36:43 +0200

Rory Toma <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately for me, I have an absolute requirement to support binding
> to a specific interface by interface name, so I guess I'll have to
> support 2 versions.

That's to bad.

> > 2) Instead of having one server socket you have X which makes the code
> >    in engine.c much more complicated. It also possible to write this
> >    with less code and a bit cleaner (not much tough):
>
> You must have one socket per interface, so I don't see a way around
> this.

There isn't but as the link I sent shows you can get away with a bit
less FD_SET handling and suchs.

> > 3) start.c and stop.c does not work with your code. Check out
> >    'monit start program' and 'monit stop program'
>
> I can start/stop individual programs on mine - I tested that.

Not if you do not bind to the loopback device. But the fix is easy as
you can see in the code, at least for ip/hostname strings.

> I suppose I'll leave mine as is, and start working on the dependency code,
> which I still need anyway.

Sorry about that, Rory. BTW, I have tought about the dependency
stuff. What do you think about using a global set statement in the
control file (instead of a depend statement in each entry). Like:

SET DEPENDENCIES A->B->C

check A ..
check C ..
check B ..