Re: [Mldonkey-users] Morpheus & Mldonkey

From: Stephen Illingworth
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Morpheus & Mldonkey
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:44:08 +0000

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:24:36 +0100
Ducingen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi list,
>

> I've read that Morpheus (a P2P client in Windows World) uses MLdonkey
> for mutli network feature :
>
> http://www.open-files.com/news/720.htm (French news)
>
> and :
>
> http://www.morpheus.com/faq.html
>
> I was wondering : they used a GPL soft, MLdonkey, they integrated it in
> their MS app, so how come they didn't give sources in return ?

They only have to give the sources to people who receive the binary. If you've
downloaded the installer they should give you the source if you ask for
them -- they don't have to provide a link on their webpage to be in compliance
with the GNU GPL.

However, they are already violating the GNU GPLby not "conpsicuously"
publishing the fact that they are bound to it.. The nearest they get, is to
admit
that they've incorporated elements of mlDonkey. I don't have access to Windows
so I don't know if the GPL COPYING file is in the installer archive anywhere.

The next best step would be for one of the copyright holders of mlDonkey to
contact
the Morpheus people and to point out the licence that is attached to mlDonkey
and
see what happens.

Regards, Steve