Re: [Mldonkey-users] BitTorrent does not work

From: Colin McKellar
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] BitTorrent does not work
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:57:53 +0800

Quoting Lorenz Pressler <address@hidden>:

> hi
>
> i have BitTorrent enabled (while beeing connected to several edonkey servers
> without a problem). when i start a bt-file mldonkey shows about 120 sources
> but it doesnt download a single bit. using 2.5-4, anyone also has problems
> with bt?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Lorenz                            mailto:address@hidden

I have had significant problems with BT. Generally when I have started a
torrent, mlnet has downloaded very fast on the BT connections, but after a few
hours, it has slowed right down or even stopped. I don't know why this would
happen exactly, but I suspect that there might be two possible issues:
1) mlnet does not seem to upload to BT sources... or if it does, it uploads
very little. I ran a client with only BT enabled, and with no limiting of
upload speeds, and mlnet uploaded nothing or very very little (I can't remember
which). The BT system quickly isolates people who are leeching and not
uploading anything.
2) I have found that the BT downloads slow, and eventually stop. If you quit
and restart the client, the download speeds can jump back up again... I suspect
that perhaps the client only searches for new seeders/leechers when it first
starts a download.

I would love to be able to use mlnet for my bt needs... however I find it far
from usable at the moment.

Colin.