Re: [Mldonkey-users] Connected to no edonkey server

From: himbA
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Connected to no edonkey server
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:28:29 +0200

Hi,

On Thursday 16 of October 2003 13:36, vaab wrote:
> Precedent version of mldonkey(2.5-3) was so slow that i've stopped using
> it (never more than 5 Ko/s, and idle most of the time). I kept coming on
> the website waiting for changes. I'm happy to see that the project is
> not dead.
>
> I've upgraded to 2.5-4, and download seems a little bit better. Not
> extraordinary (2 to 10 Ko/s almost continuously), but it has completed
> several files.
> 2.5-3 had the bad habit of draining all my memory (512 Mo RAM + 120 Mo
> cache), and after that was killed by the system. (a Linux in LFS flavour).
>
> 2.5-4 seems better... while i didn't really tested it in the same
> conditions :  i figured that when limiting the download file limit
> (max_concurrent_downloads) to 20, I stopped the memory expansion to an
> average of 80 Mo AND assured a rate to a good continuous 2 Ko/s. That's
> really better than 2.5-3. I used to have max_concurrent_downloads=100.
>
> I remember days when i downloaded at 50 Ko/s with this connection and in
> the same network conditions (same route/firewall/rules...) with the
> first mldonkey 2.0. (I'm on ADSL 512/256.)
>
> I've posted in different forum without much results, only certitude is
> that it wasn't the only problem of mldonkey. Thus, i continuously
> witnessed some post claiming 50 Ko/s or similar good health of their
> mldonkey.
>
> Don't misinterpret my mail. This is not to blame mldonkey. Maybe just a
> way to say that I hope a lot on the future of the project. I've choosed
> to stay on the train. I might not be the only one that have similar
> feelings as i saw in the recent "getting frustated" thread on this list.

Same here. I tested amule for a few days (due to "client too old" msgs in
MLdonkey) and it's no match for mldonkey. I didn't download a single file in
3 days. I couldn't wait to see the new version and I'm glad that project is
ALIVE!

> I don't know if this is normal, but mldonkey is rarely connected to any
> edonkey server. The server list contains pages of edonkey servers. And
> when i ask to connect to more server, this has no effect... If this info
> can help to find bugs ?

I did upgrade yesteday and currently I'm not satisfied with number of
connected servers on eDonkey network. MlDonkey does not seem to connect to
any server if bittorrent is enabled. I had one bittorrent download when
migrating to 2.5-4. Though bittorrent itself was downloading just fine with
approx, speed of 15k.

BT download itself is another strange thing. This file I'm DLing is over 2Gigs
and is currently at 101.4%!! Dl size: 2362253312 bytes of 2317242368 bytes
Most of the chunks are verified and some in the end are partial or missing.
File keeps on downloading over 100%, but not after I restart MLdonkey then it
falls below 90% and continues there.

I'm about to diss this file and disable BT plugin.