Re: [Mldonkey-users] you heard all this b4, low ID trash :)

From: Sebastián Wilwerth
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] you heard all this b4, low ID trash :)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:06:24 -0300

First, sorry about my english.

The first script rc.firewall, is a simple firewall script and a router-setup script, that leave open the ports listed in tcp_ppp_ok and tcp_udp_ok, enable port forwarding, and configure your linux box to act as gateway to any network beginning with 192.198.X.X attached to your ethernet card(s).
(In my case I use this script to masq emule/mldonkey on the local lan)
Also this script set TOS to have a minimum delay over the most used ports (ports for internet navigation).

The second script "tmangler" is a traffic shaper script that preserves the latency when your uplink is overloaded (A hard ADSL problem), also prioritizes the traffic for the most used ports for a fast navigation and fast dns queries over the rest of the upload junk. (This script is based on Linux Advanced Routing Howto, and the Wondershaper script)

A schema of the scripts utilization.

Internet ---> (adsl-router) ---> (ethernet dev| Linux Gateway w/ rc.firewall + tmangler + mldonkey| ethenet dev) ---> ( ethernet Lan Hosts 192.168.0.0/16)

With this configuration I reached the best results, and reduced a lot the low id problem.

Sebastián.

philippe usenet wrote:

Sebastián Wilwerth wrote:

Maybe your upload/download traffic are affecting your connection latency.
Maybe your ISP are filtering the ports for you

Try the attached scripts (edit CMDLINE= in these scripts if necessary).

Note: The tmangler, needs an extra package (iproute2), that can be downloaded from FTP://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iproute2-2.4.7-now-ss010824.tar.gz (Adjust UPLINK= bandwidth if necessary)

Sebastián.

Huh... What are these scripts doing ? I'll figure out *how* they do it by reading them, but 1st, what is the basic idea please ?

thanks

pX