[Mldonkey-users] lower your max_opened_connections

From: Ken Bradshaw
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] lower your max_opened_connections
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

After upgrading to 2-5-1 (and 2-5-3) I noticed a serious drop
in average download speed: basically my dl speed was exactly my
ul speed.

By toying with the settings, I dropped my
max_opened_connections parameter from 200 to 100, and bingo! dl
speed jumped to 50-60 again (I am on adsl 512/128). It seems
that you can get your max_opened_connections near 70 without
any damage.

Moreover, it seems to reduce a lot the overshoot of the upload
calculation: I must never have effective upload at more than
14k/s, else the outgoing TCP queue builds and my connection
chokes (high ping times) Before, with max_opened_connections at
200, I had to set max_hard_upload_rate to 5 to be sure actual
uplaods rates stayed under 14, and I was thus acting as a
leecher, since all my ul was for control messages and no actual
ul.  with max_opened_connections set to 80, I can now set my
max_hard_upload_rate to 9 without getting over 14, and I have
now some significant real uploads.

So, if your think you mldonkey is anemic, just decrease
significantly its max_opened_connections, and see if it works
better...