Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature Request (actually more than one request)

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature Request (actually more than one request)
Date: 04 Feb 2003 15:17:28 +0100

Pierre Etchemaite <address@hidden> writes:

> Le Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:59:06 -0000, João Correia <address@hidden> a écrit
> :
> > We would like to add
> > files to a separate list (not yet downloading or searching for sources)
> > and to have files from that list being added to the normal download list
> > as soon as a file finishes downloading or as soon as the download list
> > drops below a certain number of files.
>
> Same thing. If those "high level management" can be handled by some scripts
> with a minimum support from mldonkey (and I think none is necessary for
> what you want), keep this out of the core.

Actually I think it would be a good idea to regulate the number of
"downloading" files according to the number of sources.

Since priorities should now work this should already be (nearly) in
place. Say you have 100 files "downloading" with priorities 1-100
mldonkey should try all sources for files 1-10 and then see that there
are no more connections allowed for files 11-100 or that its already
time for retries for file 1 and keep files 11-100 in a "paused" state.

The available number of connects and the retry time would
automatically limit the number of files being downloaded in
parallel. A newly added, low priority, popular file wouldn't flush out
the high priority rare files anymore.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: With earlier versions downloading too many (>100) files in parallel
wasted a log of bandwith just for searching for sources all the time
and nothing did get downloaded. But that seems better now.