Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question on cross-compiling boost context lib

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question on cross-compiling boost context library
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 00:50:12 +1100

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 13:05, Nagaev Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> MXE provides GNU assembler (usr/bin/<target>-as). I suspect that it is
> not what boost.context needs though...
>
> Current version of boost in MXE is 1.60 and it builds on all my 64 bit
> Linux machines (Debian) without errors. I do not use boost.context so
> I don't know if it actually works. There is an open bug about support
> of exceptions inside coroutines of boost.context [1].
>
> I have tried to update boost to 1.62 and it failed with linking errors
> because of boost.context [2]. There is a pull request [3] for
> boost.context that is reported to fix it for release but not for
> debug. It doesn't work for me (see my comments there) and it doesn't
> look like a correct solution. According to one of comments, things are
> the same in 1.63.
>
> So I think that support of boost.context in MXE is broken if any.
> Maybe we should disable it explicitly not to confuse people?
>
> [1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/1559
> [2] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/1549
> [3] https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/pull/42

My eyes normally skip past any boost issues, so I haven’t really looked
at those. There’s a lot of “related” links and dependent packages, but
the only reference to boost.context is removing the patch used in 1.60.

I can’t build the example in #1559, even after removing all “strict”
options - maybe updates to gcc and mingw-w64 have some affect?

One link mentioned needing `masm` - should we look at building that?

Probably should continue discussion on github.

Cheers,