Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package proposal

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package proposal
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:17:58 +0100

Martin Müllenhaupt wrote:
Hi Mark,

On 11/01/2011 09:28 AM, Mark Brand wrote:
It would also be nice to have a "test-vtk.exe" program for vtk. The main
reason is to demonstrate that linking works. Many of the other .mk files
build these. A few are example programs that come with the package, but
most are just minimal programs.
I'd like to supply that test, but I'm not certain which way to use for
gathering the linking information.
I only use cmake for my applications, which is of course well supported
by VTK. The tests I saw only use pkg-config, which seems to be the
preferred tool for mingw-cross-env, right?
So I could either try to patch VTK to generate a pkg-config .pc file.
Or I could write a test using a simple CMakeLists.txt file. What do you
prefer?

Although it would be easy for CMake to generate a package-config file, I
did not find a simple solution after a few minutes of googling. I guess
it's some kind of politics not to support this tool.

I don't think you should be shy about using cmake to build the test program for vtk. Part of the purpose is to make sure the cmake configuration works. We use qmake, not pkg-config, to build the Qt test program and for other Qt based libraries. It's a question of the right tool for the job.

Whether pkg-config files should be generated by cmake is a question I don't have a view on. But it doesn't seem like a question specific to mingw-cross-env.

I noticed some linking problems already in VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt. The
generated makefiles are missing the -llcms dependency for -lmng, and
-ljpeg is missing for -ltiff. Also saw a missing -lbz2 somewhere.
I think they are related to linking Qt. The Qt installation does not
export a cmake configuration file. I usually use a CMake script based on
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2010-11/msg00069.html
which parses the Qt linking information from the lib/Qt*.prl files.

Based on this script, I just built VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/SimpleView
without errors.

That sounds promising. I don't know enough about cmake myself to feel comfortable judging what the right approach is. Maybe you can ask for some feedback on the cmake list or IRC about the right way to deal with static Qt. If you could propose a patch here, that would be great.

Mark