Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] --disable-shared

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] --disable-shared
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:04:46 +0100

Michel Boaventura <address@hidden> schrieb:
> My personal problem is that compiling gettext with --disable-shared
> makes a big problem with gnulib:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg14786.html
>
> It was fixed on gnulib, but not on gettext, so my only wayout is to
> compile gettext removing the '--disable-shared', and this implies on
> remove the same line on libiconv.

I strongly suggest not to do that. Linking some parts statically
and some parts dynamically quickly leads to unexpected problems
if you don't work carefully enough.

> This has not to do with mingw itself, its fault of gettext, but I only
> have two solutions:
>
> 1- download the get version of gettext and use it, instead of the 0.17
> version (which is dated from 2007)

Does that mean that the gettext people fixed this issue somewhere?

Are you able to spot the exact bugfix change in their version
control system's history?

> Is there another solution to this?

If it's just about fixing gettext, and if you are able to isolate
the bugfix patch, please provide it to us. Also, please tell us
where exactly you got that patch from.

Then, we could include that patch in mingw-cross-env such that
it build the bugfixed gettext version.

Maybe we could use the patch of the gettext bug report mentioned
above. However, this is just a contributed patch, and I'd like
to see whether they really included it unchanged, or whether they
had to perform some corrections on that proposal. Or maybe they
didn't use the patch at all and solved the problem another way?

Anyway, it would be great if you could investigate on that. If you
are able to backport the gettext project's bugfix to gettext-0.17,
it would be the cleanest solution.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator