Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Difficulty building project using mingw-cross

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Difficulty building project using mingw-cross-env
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:37:43 +0100

Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > which is achieved by passing the
> > --with-sdl-prefix='$PREFIX/i686-pc-mingw32' to configure. However, it
> > still fails with the same error (here at least).
>
> I think the real problem is the usage of AC_CHECK_LIB, which is in
> most cases (such as here) inappropriate. I recommend to use the
> PKG_CONFIG_* macros instead.

Additional note: It appears that at least Debian doesn't provide
the pkg-config scripts of SDL_mixer and SDL_image. WTF?!

So although using the PKG_CONFIG_* macros is the easiest and the
Right way, it is currently not portable. *sigh*

> Note, however, that there might be a bugfix needed in mingw-cross-env
> to ensure that `i686-pc-mingw32-pkg-config  SDL_image  (--static) --libs`
> really lists all needed libraries.

Additional note: I just fixed these issues. Please pull the latest
development version of mingw-cross-env.

> However, this is an indepdent problem, and solving that problem will
> only help when the project uses PKG_CONFIG_* instead of AC_CHECK_LIB.

Additional note: Attached is a proposal for a patch for tuxtype.

With that patch and the most recent mingw-cross-env, you should be
able to build your programs via:

    ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --without-sdlpango --without-rsvg

Also, feel free to propose the addition of "sdlpango" and "rsvg"
to mingw-cross-env in case you need them.

Surprisingly, the exact same patch seems to work for tuxmath, too.
However, tuxmath then fails because of some ICONV issue.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR