metacosm-dev

Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive

From: Cyril Hansen
Subject: Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:29:23 +0200

Hi all,

I have been unemployed since mid-May of this year, and expected to put a reasonable workload behind metacosm, even if i have some other tasks/interests of higher priority. It seems I over estimated my free time, as we always do.. Anyway, I am still interested and able to put out some time (at least 6 hour / week) in the project, and probably more if we have a good objective...

If i still believe in the pertinence and the validity of the project ideas, i recognize i feel frustrated for some reasons :

- I agree with Elkine that Java seemed cleaner and easier than C++ in the beginning, but in the end it is not so clear. As for networking; I met exactly the same type of issue he talks about. This and the 'proprietary" taint of the Java platform explains the lack of 'core', teenager like hacking with Java. Java is a tool from a big company for other big companies. I appreciate to have the word written all over my CV, but as a software dev experiment, it is maybe not the tool required. Java IDE are very heavy beasts, even if something exist for emacs.

- I feel frustrated when licensing issues requires me to do work not technically needed and even sometimes technically unsuitable, even if I agree that serious software development must cope with it, be it commercial/proprietary or free. Some people cheat with that, but it is simply not acceptable to do so with free software as everything is done outside where everybody can see everything. Maybe we should consider it to be just another one dev project constraint. The problem is maybe that we did not take it into account from the beginning...

- The current project dev is too slow and 'heavy' : There is too much 'framework' like code, that gives very few functionalities today. Adding any small 'core" features require refactoring a lot of code : This is bad for short dev cycles. There is a moto for this very problem : "Design for today, not tomorrow", which is part of the Extreme Programming propaganda. I discovered this dev methodology in 2002 and it now makes me feel bad about our code base. I can speak about this more later and I have some books to hand out.

- (geek) Public interest is raised with screen shots, playable beta versions, continuous improvements and fixes, and innovative concepts. We had a lot of innovative concepts, but could not achieve the other points. Even if we do not achieve the whole thing in two years of team development, we need to have a software base that is easy to try out, at least on a usual linux system, that is fun to try out, and some screen shots that helps people understands what our 'innovative concepts' are all about. The interest we can gather from such work is probably only what we need to be motivated to go further. And the small publicity can also have side (good) effects like make it easier to work in the multimedia domain, etc.

I vote to keep the domain, and I would prefer it to belong to an active project member.

Regards,

Horus / Cyril M.Hansen