metacosm-dev

Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive

From: Benoît Sibaud
Subject: Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:24:57 +0200

Hi,

> I am still alive as well! Sorry I haven't shown more signs of life but

Hmm last time I heard news from you, you were planning a trip in France,
many months ago :). But that's nice to have fresh news.

> I have to admit that metacosm was somewhat put in the background for me
> (as it seems it has been for most of you as well or am I wrong in
> assuming that?)...

Indeed it was, but was it by choice or by lack of time...

> I have never been really interested in this licensing issues since I
> see them as hinderance and they were actually partly why I couldn't be
> bothered with metacosm anymore. I like open source and the GPL but not
> when it gets in the way of getting the job done... Anyway, I guess this
> is not really important for me to say that now! :)

Well, licensing issues are boring, but they're part of the job (both in
proprietary and free software development). As for documenting the code,
few developers like to bother about legal stuff, but the ostrich way isn't
the best one to build good foundations for a project. Moreover you can't
expect the free software to prosper if developpers drop license issues...
Anyway, as long as at least one of us looks at them, it's OK.

> > - metacosm.org domain. "Expiration Date:02-Sep-2003 17:17:47 UTC"
>
> I am still the owner of the domain name and we don't currently use it
> since Savanna doesn't provide DNS redirection as SF was doing so I
> don't really see the point of renewing the domain name for metacosm
> itself unless we find a way to make use of the domain. More
> importantly, we should make sure that there are still people interested
> in working on the project...

You can follow discussion about virtual hosting on Savannah at
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101286&group_id=11

I like to keep the domain. As last year, I offer to become the domain
owner. I suppose I could ask for april.org or linuxfr.org admins to
redirect metacosm.org to savannah.nongnu.org/metacosm.

About the lack of activity, I'll let others speak for themselves (do you
still have the address of this list? :p)

--
Benoît Sibaud