metacosm-dev

Re: Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive

From: elkine
Subject: Re: Re: [Metacosm-dev] Still alive
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:44:46 CEST

Hi all,

That's been a very long time since I've said anything on the list, but because
of the veiled threats of Oumph should I not answer, here it goes.

It's true that I've lost interest in Metacosm, maybe because I'm more and more
doubtful about Java's advantages for the project. At the risk of upsetting some
of you (no name will be given :)), I think that C++ would be a more valid
choice. A lot of free graphic and other C++ libraries are available which have
been ported to most important platforms. Moreover, memory management seems not
so important an issue nowadays (because of STL and all that). Network
programming is perhaps more difficult, but it's
only the basics which are easier in Java. When you want something more
intricate, you have the same problem, plus you don't have the same level of
control on the Java network classes.

But I still feel that there is potential in Metacosm and for its sake we should
be keeping the domain name, so Oumph has my vote on this issue. I just hope
that it's not too late for him to protect the domain from the rapacious eponym
English firm :)

Later,

Elkine