mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Easy self-hosted git repos, w/ gogs on Sandstorm

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Userops] Easy self-hosted git repos, w/ gogs on Sandstorm
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:08:50 +0100

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 06:20:10PM -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> I know self-hosted git is a topic dear to many of us, so I wanted to remark on
> a new app that you can run if you run Sandstorm:
>
> Gogs, a speedy git hosting option, packaged by Cem Kocagil
>

> The Sandstorm package info can be found here: https://apps.sandstorm.io/app/
> d9ygf47xrtnw12j92cyt6cu8ut75esx01u4q3kcrn8415w9qzzgh
>
> And you can install Sandstorm via https://sandstorm.io/install/.
>

> Some commentary: The Sandstorm package for Gogs has no built-in facility for
> making a completely-public repo with a super convenient public URL. It's not a
> "hosting service you can run yourself," but rather "a way to create personal
> git repositories that you can share with others". So if you are paying GitHub
> for private personal/group git repositories and wish you were using FLOSS or
> self-hosting, using Gogs on Sandstorm is a great alternative.
>

> If anyone here has thoughts/feedback, that'd be glorious.

I've been running Gogs for a while, and added it to the developer
variant of freedombone. I havn't tested it extensively but it seems
quite well and works ok as a way of mirroring github repos. I expect
that at some point github will either turn evil or turn into
sourceforge, and so having independent git hosting capability will be
useful.

Like other systems which aren't yet packaged in debian I include it in
an update script which attempts to pull the latest code, rebuild and
reinstall on a weekly basis. That's not an ideal solution, since on rare
occasions there can be compile breakages which get reported by email, but for
non-packaged stuff it's about the best I can do.