mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Userops Acid Test v0.1

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: Re: [Userops] Userops Acid Test v0.1
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 19:19:06 -0700

Sorry to keep self-replying here.

Another aspect for your "Security" list:

* Automatic updates.

People don't update the free software they self-host. Mozilla doesn't; Pirate Party doesn't; La Quadrature du Net doesn't; Wikimedia doesn't; Framasoft doesn't; and so on. You can see the evidence for that here: http://blog.etherpad.org/2015/03/04/update-your-etherpad/

So we now have the data: if there are no auto-updates, people do not update, even with free software. The world has run the study, and the blog post at etherpad.org shows the data.

I write the above _intending_ to sound dogmatic; I think this is a lesson that the free software world as a whole has not learned, so I am passionate about making the point.