mediagoblin-devel

Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 22:54:48 +1100

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

> On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 20:01:06 +1100 Ben wrote:
>> I've merged a similar change which uses `pip install
>> --editable` instead of `setup.py develop`. I've removed the `--upgrade`
>> since it will blast over any system-site-packages.
>
> FWIW, i would also ensure that pip is not strictly needed, that
> the user could install the python dependencies manually, or via
> the system package manager - third-party package managers such
> as pip, are problematic for FSDG distros - hyperbola, trisquel,
> and parabola and have already banned them

The aim is definitely to be able to run without pip. I haven't checked
recently, but I suspect we would have nearly the full set of Python
dependencies in Debian 11, and similarly for Guix.

The most promising option for the third-party dependencies is, I think,
to do without them. MediaGoblin will need some work to make sure video
and audio work well without them, but that shouldn't be
insurmountable. Much easier than trying to get the JavaScript
dependencies into distros I think.

Regards,
Ben