mediagoblin-devel

Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 20:01:06 +1100

Hi Peter,

Just following up regarding some of the branches you've provided.

>> * mr/bcrypt-python310-compilability
>>    Newer pythons have no more some collection classes imported by the used
>> (and quite old)
>> celery version. My experiments showed, at least celery >= 4.3 is needed.
>> Unfortunately,
>> comment says that there no more sqlite transport alias exists, which make
>> tests fail.
>> Suggestion: first, make the project compatible with recent celery, second,
>> fix the test cases :
>> -) Beside that, some newer libraries (particularly, rust-related depencies
>> or the bcrypt) are
>> needed.

I'd *love* to see some progress on this, as it's critical for Ubuntu
22.04 support. Would you be willing to do some work on it for us? I've
attached a patch to update to the newer Celery API. I haven't tested it
properly yet though. Could you take a look?

>> * mr/bugfix/12-autoconf That is the issue #12 in the sourcehut bugtraq. The
>> gnu autoconf
>> needed a minor tuning, it does not love embedded IF-s any more, but has a
>> better
>> nearly-equivalent syntax. Without that, the bootstrap.sh-based deployment,
>> as written in the
>> project tutorial, won't work.

As discussed elsewhere, this is merged and working well. I made some
minor changes to ensure the --without-virtualenv was still working too. Thanks!

>> * mr/gitignore-fix After a successful build, many intermediate files appear
>> as new sources.
>> Normally these should be covered by a gitignore (so that a "git clean"
>> should be able to
>> recover the prune source tree), I imporoved the gitignore to handle
>> them.

Similarly merged, though I undid the install-sh removal because it
caused problems in CI. Any thoughts on what that issue might be?

https://todo.sr.ht/~mediagoblin/mediagoblin/35

>> * mr/no-system-pip That is a matter of taste. I suggest to not use and to
>> not expect system
>> pips. I think, being independent from the possible build systems
>> (containers) would worth
>> more than not needing to install trivial python libs (likely lxml).

Thanks. I'm not sure this is the way we want to go, since I'm still holding
out hope of one day distributing MediaGoblin as an OS package. It's
definitely a trade-off though, in spending more time supporting
dependency issues. Not sure.

>> * mr/pipinst The compilation with python setup.py does not really work and
>> it is very
>> unstable. Python loves today much more "pip install". This patch changes the
>> Makefile.in to
>> do a "pip install" instead of "python setup".

Thanks also. I've merged a similar change which uses `pip install
--editable` instead of `setup.py develop`. I've removed the `--upgrade`
since it will blast over any system-site-packages.

Regards,
Ben