Re: GNU make 4.2 (and 4.2.1) failing due to length of command-line

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make 4.2 (and 4.2.1) failing due to length of command-line
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 16:54:35 -0400

On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 20:36 +0000, Adrian Muresan wrote:
> Does batch_mode_shell = 1 mean that it always uses the sh.exe instead
> of Windows.cmd?

No.  It's clear that make is not using Windows command.com, because the
script you're running is a POSIX shell script, not a command.com batch
script.  If you tried to enter those commands into your command.com
prompt you'd get a syntax error.

What that flag means (as I understand it: I'm not that familiar with
this aspect of Windows support) is that make will never try to invoke
the shell directly passing the recipe to be run on the command line.

Instead it is being forced to always write the recipe to a temporary
file ("batch file") on your disk and invoke the shell such that it runs
the recipe in the temporary file.

Apparently your shell is able to read and execute very long command
lines from a file, which it cannot successfully process when passed in
as arguments, even though these command line arguments are not
exceeding Windows limits.