Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released

From: Markus Mauhart
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:54:40 +0100

"J. Grant" <address@hidden> wrote ...
> Hi,
>
> <snip>
>> IMHO this is not a good idea. Please see my other posting here
>> in gmane.comp.gnu.make.windows, subject = "updates for README.cvs
>> and for README.W32.template".
>
> prepare_w32.bat is used to prepare the target before the msvc.net2003 project
> is built, so is
> needed.

It may be used, but it is not needed:
AFAICS the only effect of prepare_w32.bat, once started out of the
distribution (not from plain CVS), is running the following single
command:

    if not exist config.h copy config.h.W32 config.h

A) User with prepare_w32.bat:
1) user reads in README.W32 a (to be added) instruction like:
   please execute the following command:
       prepare_w32.bat
2) user then executes this command (copy & paste into the shell)
3) user reads on in README.W32

B) User without prepare_w32.bat:
1) user reads in README.W32 a (to be added, see my patch) instruction like:
   please execute the following command:
       if not exist config.h copy config.h.W32 config.h
2) user then executes this command (copy & paste into the shell)
3) user reads on in README.W32

IMO two obvious advantages of (B) are 1) everybody gets rid of
a redundant file, and 2) users learn immediately what will happen.

Btw, my mentioned other posting here in gmane.comp.gnu.make.windows,
subject = "updates for README.cvs and for README.W32.template", seems
to have been blocked, maybe cause of attachments. So I resent it now
with attachments zipped, subject = "Re: updates for README.cvs and
for README.W32.template".

Best Regards,
Markus.