Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:26:16 +0200

> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:18:19 -0500
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Thanks Markus.
>
> I'll look at your stuff tonight or this weekend.

FWIW, I think Markus's changes are too skewed towards building from
CVS.  It is IMHO wrong to have README.W32 mention the CVS build except
with a single sentence which tells to look in README.cvs.  Most
Windows users will not build Make themselves, and of those who will, a
minuscule minority will build out of CVS.  So these details just add
to confusion, which is already too large, since we now support 3
different build environments.

I also don't quite get the importance of telling the users to copy
config.h.W32 by hand: both build_w32.bat and NMakefile already do that
automatically.  Why ask the user to perform a potentially error-prone
command when the tools already do that?

> Release is getting very, very close everyone!  I'm reworking the
> chapter on writing command scripts somewhat to make the whole backslash
> newline thing clearer (I hope).

How close? should I stop working on the -jN issue on Windows?