Re: wrong link command called

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: wrong link command called
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:05:01 +0200

> From: "Jonathan Baccash" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:08:07 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> According to the MSDN Library (you
> can google it and access it online), this function will search in the
> directory from which the application loaded (and a succession of other
> directories) before even caring about or looking at the PATH.  Please,
> THIS is the problem, it has nothing to do with my PATH.

No, this is NOT the problem.  It would be madness for us to modify the
way Make searches for executables on Windows, because none of Windows
developers who use Make will expect that.

You must find a way to convince Bash to search for executables in the
same way, i.e. look in the cwd first.  I suspect that you tried to
modify PATH in a way that didn't export its value to the child shell,
and that why it didn't work.  So try a different method.

> I think it's trickery that GNU make doesn't spawn a shell to run my
> command--isn't it supposed to delegate this operation to the shell
> of my choice?

It's trickery allright, but Make is entitled to do so--it's an
implementation detail.  $shell is documented to run a shell command,
not to run the shell.  How it runs the shell command is entirely up
to Make.