Re: win32 paths with spaces

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: win32 paths with spaces
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:14:12 -0500

%% address@hidden writes:

Please just choose one mailing list to ask questions on.  Thanks.

  j> I am lucky enough to be working on win32 at present.  I have:

  j> OBJS = "c:\test dir\main.o"

  j> Unfortunately the quotes are being removed when the various rules
  j> are translated into the command lines (i.e. "gcc -o test.elf
  j> $(OBJS)").  Then I get a bizarre "access denied" message.  If I use
  j> paths with no spaces this works fine; unfortunately there are
  j> hundreds of these paths with spaces in.  Is there a way to get make
  j> to leave the quotes on the filenames I am putting on my OBJS line
  j> please?  Perhaps a solution to this problem documented somewhere? I
  j> could not find a solution in the manual though.

The short answer is that make doesn't handle files with spaces in the
name, and there's really no way around this.

Note the quotes above are really not relevant to make: it doesn't honor
quotes.  To make the above just looks like two files, the first one
named '"c:\test' and the second named 'dir\main.o"'.