mailman

Source code for "reply via email" on lists.gnu.org

From: Florian Bruhin
Subject: Source code for "reply via email" on lists.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:19:44 +0200

Hey!

I'm not sure what the right place for this question is, so I'm taking the
freedom to message both webmasters@ and mailman@.

On lists.gnu.org, there's a "reply via email to ..." button, see e.g. here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils-announce/2020-03/msg00000.html

According to the HTML source, when that button is pressed, a request gets sent
to a "/mp/yyz.py" script, which then generates a mailto: URL.

I first thought that was part of MHonArc which generates the archives, but that
doesn't seem to be the case - MHonARc is written in Perl rather than Python,
there's no .py in its sources, and such a button isn't visible in mails on
https://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/.

Surprisingly, I was unable to find a repository or source code archive
containing this yyz.py file. Did I miss something, or is GNU writing/running
closed-source code there? ;-)

(The reason I'm asking is because I believe there is a bug in the script: It
does not surround the mail in the In-Reply-To header with <...>, causing e.g.
NeoMutt to ignore the invalid mail address in the header)

Florian

--
address@hidden (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/