mailman

Re: new mailing list 'magit' and password reset

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:56:47 +0200

Hello Karl

> I changed the emacs-pms-dev pw to  fluid  (no quotes).

Thanks.

> It would indeed be better to set up a new list if it's a new idea.

I will get to back to you when I know more.  Given that I am quite busy
with Magit that might be a while...

> About the magit list, well, it's not an unalterable policy, but normally
> we set up lists when they are associated with Savannah projects one way
> or another.  Do you feel like hosting magit at Savannah?

No, I don't plan to move to Savannah, at least not anytime soon.

However aside from ideological concerns the crippled Github pull request
functionality is causing us some grief.  A long time goal of mine is to
implement a decentralized and git based issue tracker and pull request
handling into Magit.  Until then I have to take some baby steps into the
right direction.  One of these would be to move away from Google Groups
and to a free and fully functional mailing list provided like Mailman on
Savannah.

We Magit developers have to invest some effort into community building.

For that reason it is not good that I (the current primary maintainer)
stay away from the mailing list as much as possible because I neither
want to use Google's web interface nor read html mail in Emacs.  In my
defense not much interesting has been going on on the list until
recently but that's exactly what I am trying to change.

> Thought I should ask, but if not, I don't mind setting up the list for
> you anyway, given the connection with Emacs.

Yes, please.  I hope nobody objects and you can create the list for us.

But don't do it just yet.

I wanted to first check with you whether creating a list on Savannah is
actually possible before discussing this on the old list and then having
to back paddle.  Unless someone on the Savannah team objects I will now
start that discussion on the old list.  I am very hopeful that there
won't be any serious objections to making this move.

  Thanks,
  Jonas