lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected network read error when accessing https on Ubu

From: Luke at Shellworld Support
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected network read error when accessing https on Ubuntu 16.04.
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 00:00:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Do you build lynx yourself or do you use/backport packages?

I have been pulling pre-built X64 binaries from Buster, bionic, etc. repo
mirrors. I'm trying now to build a source version of 2.8.9 stable on the
machine in question.

> I’d have guessed for the TLS version to be an issue, but…

That was my first thought as well, although other TLS applications seem to
be working fine (knock on wood), and older versions of lynx (2.8.9.dev9)
work fine with SSL.

> somewhat a sense that building lynx with OpenSSL might be better
> overall. Maybe try that instead, if you can get a version that
> supports at least TLSv1.2?

I'll try.

> If needed, I can probably do the Debian Developer thing and backport
> the current lynx package from Debian unstable to 16.04 using its
> libraries “as shipped”… but, I see now, that’s also just 2.9.0dev.10
> so it might not suffice?

Thank you. I'll try to build and see what I get, and go from there. I have
no objection to the 2.9 series, it just has the problem of failing as
described herein. The last version of 2.9 I tried was from backports I
believe.

Luke