lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected network read error when accessing https on Ubu

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected network read error when accessing https on Ubuntu 16.04.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 21:46:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

>I am running an older Ubuntu system (16.04), serving some users with

>Newer versions of lynx (seemingly anything after 2.8.9.dev16 inclusive)
>will not open https URLs.
>
>All the lib dependencies are exceeded, and earlier versions (such as
>2.8.9.dev9) do work, but have started running into other errors that make
>upgrading desirable..

huh. Interesting.

Do you build lynx yourself or do you use/backport packages?

I’d have guessed for the TLS version to be an issue, but…

>Secure 256-bit TLS1.3 (ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) HTTP connection

this doesn’t look like it. (For the record, I’m getting the same
in Debian 11, using the packaged version of lynx, which is
2.9.0dev.6 though.)

>libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 3.5.17, ncurses 6.0.20160213(wide)

The packaged version of lynx also uses nonGNUtls, but there is
somewhat a sense that building lynx with OpenSSL might be better
overall. Maybe try that instead, if you can get a version that
supports at least TLSv1.2?

>From trace:

(I’ll leave it to the experts to look at that.)

>Any pointers here would be vastly appreciated, and apologies if this is
>the wrong list.

I think this is the only list.

If needed, I can probably do the Debian Developer thing and backport
the current lynx package from Debian unstable to 16.04 using its
libraries “as shipped”… but, I see now, that’s also just 2.9.0dev.10
so it might not suffice?

Good luck,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)