lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] key binding to insert blank line in textarea?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] key binding to insert blank line in textarea?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:32:10 +1100

Hi, Thomas!

At 2021-12-28T08:51:17-0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> https://lynx.invisible-island.net/lynx_help/keystrokes/edit_help.html#editing_keymap
>
> Textarea external edit  - Ctrl-X e

Ah, I missed that that part of the documentation entirely.

> Using ^X-e, you can insert a blank line in your external editor
> (presumably set up in the options menu...) and on return, lynx asks if
> you want to wrap the lines.

I figured there was such a feature somewhere, but in my haste I figured
line insertion was a basic enough thing that it would be present even in
the limited environment of the browser proper.  But, thinking about it
for 2 more seconds, I reckon that would be significantly more
complicated since the data structure you use to manage the lines of a
textarea would need to change to a linked list from a simple queue (or
stack).  It could also prove to be the camel's nose that leads to
writing Yet Another Text Editor...

> Don't wrap (it'll remove some blank lines).

Thanks!

Regards,
Branden